The Innovation, Privacy & Technology (IP&T) section of Pels Rijcken, consisting of about 14 lawyers, assists its clients with innovations in the areas of artificial intelligence, blockchain, smart contracts, data and smart cities. The team has been involved from the outset in the development and implementation of innovations and works closely with developers, programmers and builders to build the legal requirements directly into the technology.
They specialise in answering legal issues that are relevant to new technologies, such as those in the field of privacy (the GDPR), intellectual property (simulcasting as disclosure, IP on SaaS), human rights (freedom of expression, the right to information gathering, the right to be forgotten), contract law (deadlines and IT), liability law (AI and autonomous transport) and regulations concerning open government and administrative chains.
The Innovation, Privacy & Technology section advises companies and governments that use innovations to improve their processes. Our experience is that when the legal aspects of an innovation are considered in the early stages of an innovation process, the innovation is accelerated.
They are advising APG and PGGM, among others, in realising their ambition to transfer the pension administration to a blockchain, the Netherlands Care Institute on one of the first working blockchain applications 'Mijn Zorg Log' and various municipalities, including The Hague, Amsterdam and Eindhoven, in realising their smart city ambitions.
- "Strong privacy and IT team with solid and broad knowledge on this topic. Also has good connections in these fields.", "Swiftness in handling. Smart and practical solutions to problems. Good knowledge of procedural aspects." - The Legal 500, 2022
- “One client highlights that the lawyers are willing to provide the best service and are flexible to follow their clients' needs. Another client appreciates that the lawyers respond very quickly, give understandable advice and are willing to think outside the box if possible.", Chambers Europe 2021
- "The team is a close-knit group. Their strength lies in their ability to listen and, of course, their legal knowledge. They are very pleasant to work with and know their business. What also sets them apart from other firms is that I have never, not once, seen arrogance in their behaviour.", Legal 500, 2021
- “The privacy team always has good up-to-date knowledge and remains well informed on all relevant developments in the field of privacy. The team works quickly, professionally and transparently in a good atmosphere with the client. The respectful manner in which the other party is approached is also striking.”, "A very skilled team at Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV handles a range of privacy and data protection law combined with extensive experience in internet and telecoms law including newer technologies such as blockchain, cloud and sensor data matters.", “The privacy team has the ability to think with the client, instead of “against” the client. What I mean by this is that they excel in analysing where the legal issues are and presenting potential solutions to these issues, aiding in the client’s risk analysis.”, Legal 500 2020
- "One client appreciates the team's good knowledge of public law and European law as well as experience in both civil and administrative court procedures, also adding: The lawyers deliver in time and with good quality. Another client notes the team's keen eye for the peculiarities and sensitivities of the cases and the lawyers' ability to model their style in accordance with circumstance and role.", Chambers Europe 2020