Conducting proceedings before the Dutch Supreme Court is a skill in its own right. We are the go to firm in the Netherlands for Supreme Court proceedings.
The Supreme Court sets high demands
Supreme Court litigation is inherently different from proceedings conducted before the district court or court of appeal. The Supreme Court, when assessing an appeal, is bound by the facts established by the lower courts. The judgments of the lower courts can only be set aside if they are contrary to the law or if the reasoning is unsound. The Supreme Court sets high demands on the quality of complaints submitted to it and the defence conducted against those complaints. Accordingly, successful litigation before the Supreme Court requires a great deal of expertise and experience.
Pels Rijcken’s expertise and specialist team
Pels Rijcken has had a team of attorneys specialised in Supreme Court litigation for decades. We litigate at the forefront of legal developments and handle more cases before the Dutch Supreme Court than any other law firm.
Our specialists combine knowledge of procedural law and Supreme Court litigation expertise at the highest level in all major areas of law, both civil and tax. The team represents private and public-sector clients, often on behalf of the lawyer who handled the case before the district court and the court of appeal.
We can provide assistance at any stage and in any form, whether you need a quick scan, a detailed opinion, Supreme Court proceedings or questions for preliminary ruling by the Supreme Court. Our Supreme Court attorneys always work in close cooperation with the principal. Often already at the court of appeal stage, with a view to a possible Supreme Court appeal.
Pels Rijcken's Supreme Court attorneys share their knowledge of Supreme Court law at www.cassatieblog.nl, where they report and comment every week on the Supreme Court’s civil judgments. Our Supreme Court blog thus offers a quick, accessible and expert look at Supreme Court case law.
- "We worked together with Martijn Scheltema and Sikke Kingma on a cassation before the Supreme Court of The Hague. They are a top-notch team. Martijn and Sikke were very responsive. They have in-depth knowledge of the matter at hand.", Legal 500, 2021
- "Hans van Wijk has been a long-time partner for us, handling our Supreme Court litigation. We find him very skilled and very pleasant to work with.", Legal 500, 2021
- "A stand-out partner is Karlijn Teuben. Over the years she has represented us in high-profile and sensitive liability and compensation procedures (e.g. military interventions and the colonial past). Karlijn is an expert in civil procedures and has high quality knowledge on past and present law, both in Dutch and in international law. She has an outstanding performance in court where she delivers the message with empathy.", Legal 500, 2021
- "The Pels’ commercial litigation practice is very reputable and especially excels in its Supreme Court litigation.", Legal 500, 2021
- Hailed as "a top constitutional lawyer in the Netherlands," Martijn Scheltema of Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn N.V. is a prominent figure in the business and human rights space. He advises advises various state departments on human rights-related policy and legislation. In addition to establishing binding dispute resolution mechanisms, he also represents the Dutch state in high-profile appeals before the Supreme Court. A source says that "the depth of his knowledge is phenomenal," adding: "He is an absolute delight to work, with a very solid, strong legal brain.", Chambers Global 2021
- Hans van Wijk represents banks and government bodies before the Supreme Court. His tenacity as a lawyer is valued by clients, one describing him as an "extraordinary lawyer with excellent determination.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2021
- Karlijn Teuben is an "excellent litigator." She represents a broad client list of energy multinationals, insurance companies and state bodies in the Supreme Court. An interviewee underlines that Teuben has a "very good reputation in Supreme Court litigation.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2021
- Sikke Kingma assists international corporates and state bodies with IP disputes before the Supreme Court. Clients appreciate his work in the court of cassation, one observing that "his Supreme Court advice was of stellar quality, thorough and covering all the angles.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2021