Erik Pijnacker Hordijk is one of the most experienced lawyers in the Netherlands in the area of EU and competition law. Erik has been a lawyer since 1983. In 2017, he left De Brauw to join Pels Rijcken as head of the European Law practice group. Erik advises on and litigates in cases for companies and governments on any number of issues in his specialist area. His practice ranges from cartel damage cases to proceedings on the consequences of Brexit for residence rights of British nationals. In addition to competition law, state aid and the internal market are priorities in his practice.
Erik studied Dutch Law and philosophy at the University of Utrecht and earned a European Master's degree from the College of Europe in Bruges. He is co-author of Aanbestedingsrecht, a well-known handbook on European and Dutch procurement law. He has a number of preliminary reports and numerous other publications to his name. Erik is a deputy justice at the Den Bosch Court of Appeal. He is fluent in English, French and German. Erik has been a long-standing market leader in Band I of Chambers Europe in the Competition/European Law discipline for many years.
- “Clients highlight his succinct manner of counsel, one dubbing him a straight talker, additionally praising his assertive and persuasive litigation style.", Chambers Global 2021
- Leading Individual, Legal 500, 2021
- “Erik Pijnacker Hordijk has the senior authority and knows exactly how to act in court; never arrogant, always spot-on behaviour which is required in different circumstances, visibly appreciated by judges.”. And “[…] Mr. Pijnacker Hordijk make me feel that our interests are very well served by their legal experience, outstanding knowledge and authoritative presentation.”, Legal 500, 2020
- Leading Individual, Legal 500, 2020
- "Clients appreciate his "strong personality and very broad knowledge of the law, and European law in particular.", Chambers Europe 2020
- Leading Individual, Legal 500 2019
- "Clients appreciate that he is prone to finding solutions and describe him as a tough personality who is capable of convincing other parties of the best road to proceed.", Chambers Europe 2019
- "Seasoned practitioner Erik Pijnacker Hordijk is heralded by clients as an all-around expert with many years of experience.", Chambers Europe 2018
- “Clients say: Erik is very appreciated for his broad and in-depth knowledge and experience.” Chambers Europe 2017