Hans Besselink has been with Pels Rijcken for 25 years. His approach is noted for being practical and solution-oriented and his specialist knowledge of administrative law, planning and environmental law and (European) nature conservation law means he quickly obtains effective results. This includes a matter involves zoning plans or their amendment, project decisions, permits or enforcement decisions. Hans regularly advises and litigates for Dutch ministries, almost all provinces, and many water boards and municipalities. He also enjoys sharing his knowledge with others by publishing in professional journals. Hans is a frequent lecturer and introductory speaker at courses and congresses. He obtained his master’s degree in Dutch Law from Utrecht University and before joining Pels Rijcken, was a staff lawyer at the Dutch Council of State for a number of years.
Hans serves as a deputy judge at the District Court of Gelderland and as a lecturer on Planning and Environmental Law at the Grotius Academy. He is a member of the editorial team of the journal JB Plus, and a member of the Dutch Environmental Lawyers Association and Construction Lawyers Association.
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2021
- “Hans Besselink is highly respected for his work on environmental law, advising clients on ecological and environmental permitting mandates. One client applauds: He is very creative and not afraid to do something outside the box, and because of his high level of expertise these out-of-the-box solutions work," adding: He is highly regarded by everyone in the country, so it's a big plus when you bring him in.", Chambers Europe 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2020
- "Sources enjoy working with Hans Besselink and enthuse that he has just the right atmosphere around him to deal with things, so it is comfortable working with him.", Chambers Europe 2020
- "All the lawyers are described as civilised and pleasant to work with. These include Hans Besselink, […].", Legal 500 2019
- "According to a source, Hans Besselink is a brilliant fast-thinking lawyer. Another interviewee enthuses that he knows the law very well and is able to come up with pragmatic solutions.", Chambers Europe 2019
- "An authority in the field of environmental law and a much sought-after legal adviser.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "He is great. He always helps me understand the real problems. He is a very experienced lawyer in the field of environmental law. He has a lot of knowledge, is fast and smart and always comes up with a pragmatic solution.", Chambers Europe 2017
- "Hans Besselink is fast, analytical, strategic and experienced.", Legal 500 2016