Iman specialises in energy law and policy and is head of Pels Rijcken's Energy team. Iman has a standing track record in major energy projects, particularly those with complicated regulatory aspects. His advisory practice focuses on energy legislation, energy contracts and energy projects. As a litigator, Iman is regularly engaged in civil and administrative matters concerning energy-related topics, such as access to the gas and electricity markets. Renewable energy and energy transition are cornerstones of his practice; Iman inter alia is involved in various large scale wind, solar PV and heat projects. Also, Iman advises - primarily - energy companies on corporate and company law issues. Iman acts for parties in every link of the energy chain, from upstream to downstream. His clients include gas and electricity producers, suppliers and traders, project developers, TSOs as well as central and decentralised governments. Iman is fluent in English, French and German.
Iman has a master in law from Leiden University. He also followed the course in administrative law at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Iman regularly lectures on energy law and policy and is a frequent speaker at energy seminars. He also regularly publishes on energy related topics.
- “Iman Brinkman, as team leader, is better equipped than anyone to understand the broad legal scope of the energy field.” And “Iman Brinkman is an extremely strategic consultant.”, Legal 500, 2021
- Next Generation Partner, Legal 500, 2021
- “Clients picks out Iman Brinkman for his communication skills, one asserting that he can make legal wording very easy to understand. He acts across a range of regulatory issues, including administrative proceedings and advisory issues relating to energy transition projects. He receives additional praise for his ability to stay very calm and make points very clearly.", Chambers Europe 2021
- “Very well connected in politics, detailed knowlegde on energy law and the sector. Very good value for money.”. And “Attention to detail, thorough knowledge of all links in the supply chain.”. And “Superb expert in the energy field, clear advice. Combines energy law well with e.g. other legal fields and has a good knowledge of other energy market developments in the wider sense.”, Legal 500 2020
- Next Generation Lawyer, Legal 500 2020
- "Iman Brinkman is highlighted by one client for his in-depth knowledge of the Dutch regulatory system governing electricity production and distribution.", Chambers Europe 2020
- Next Generation Lawyer, Legal 500 2019
- "Interviewees say that Iman Brinkman combines excellent legal knowledge with a practical business approach. Another source singles out his strong knowledge of market rules and developments, great strategic insights and excellent all-round legal advice.", Chambers Europe 2019
- "Very knowledgeable about energy law and is an analytical thinker.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "The really smart and very analytical Iman Brinkman is clients' first port of call for issues with regulators, authorities or government.", Chambers Europe 2017
- "Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV’s department is led by the very client-focused Iman Brinkman, who has in-depth knowledge of the sector [...].", Legal 500 2017
- Band 2-ranking Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers Europe 2016
- Leading energy lawyer, Who’s Who Legal 2014
- Leading lawyer in Energy and Natural Resources, Expert Guides