Karlijn Teuben is a highly experienced litigator with 15 years of experience as a Supreme Court litigator. She has a broad Supreme Court practice with an emphasis on liability, insurance and compensation. In addition, in Supreme Court proceedings, she focuses primarily on general property rights, civil procedural law, employment law, transport law and international (public and private) law. Karlijn also litigates in the courts of fact. The cases litigated are often complex disputes involving (government) liability, compensation and international law. She also litigates in cases involving healthcare and health insurance.
Karlijn graduated from the conservatories in The Hague and Amsterdam as a clarinet music teacher and performing musician. She went on to graduate with distinction from the civil law programme at Leiden University where she then worked as a lecturer/researcher. She earned her PhD on a procedural law thesis at the same university. Karlijn lectures and writes regularly about civil procedural law, among other things. Together with Willem Heemskerk, she is co-author of the procedural law handbook Hugenholtz/Heemskerk. Karlijn also holds a number of other legal positions, including as secretary for the Civil Supreme Court Lawyers Association (VCCA).
- “A stand-out partner is Karlijn Teuben. Over the years she has represented us in high-profile and sensitive liability and compensation procedures (e.g. military interventions and the colonial past). Karlijn is an expert in civil procedures and has high quality knowledge on past and present law, both in Dutch and in international law. She has an outstanding performance in court where she delivers the message with empathy.”, Legal 500, 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2021
- “Karlijn Teuben is an excellent litigator. She represents a broad client list of energy multinationals, insurance companies and state bodies in the Supreme Court. An interviewee underlines that Teuben has a very good reputation in Supreme Court litigation.", Chambers Global en Chambers Europe 2021
- “Karlijn Teuben delivers high quality legal advice and has an exceptional performance in court: sharp and tough on legal content, with the needed empathy for the opponent.”, Legal 500, 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2020
- "Clients report that she has a very sharp legal mind.", Chambers Europe 2020
- "analytical and responsive", Legal 500 2019
- Karlijn Teuben is described by a client as a really technical lawyer, and another source admires that she is able to unravel very complex matters and present them to the courts in an extremely clear, to-the-point and convincing manner.", Chambers Europe 2019