Martijn Scheltema joined Pels Rijcken in 1997 as a Supreme Court litigator. He handles cases in the area of private law in relation to the public sector, and expropriation. In addition, he handles cases concerning national and international commercial disputes regarding, inter alia, the annulment of arbitral awards and execution of arbitral awards and other judgments. Outside the Supreme Court practice, he also works on cases involving business human rights, climate change and Sustainable Development Goals. He advises governments and companies on the legal aspects of SDG of relevant legislation, tenders, more effective contractual systems than currently used and in transactions. Martijn is also involved in prominent proceedings in this area, advising on the effectiveness of ubiquitous national and international self- and co-regulation systems. A unique aspect of this business human rights practice involves human rights and artificial intelligence. He has published and lectured in both areas and speaks regularly at international conferences about business human rights.
Martijn is currently a professor of private law at Erasmus University and chairman of the dispute resolution body of the Dutch CSR covenant for the garment and textile industry and has many other international positions in this area.
- "A top constitutional lawyer in the Netherlands," [...]. A source says that "the depth of his knowledge is phenomenal," adding: "He is an absolute delight to work, with a very solid, strong legal brain.", Chambers Global 2021
- "We worked together with Martijn Scheltema and Sikke Kingma on a cassation before the Supreme Court of The Hague. They are a top-notch team. Martijn and Sikke were very responsive. They have in-depth knowledge of the matter at hand.", Legal 500, 2021
- Recommended Lawyer, Legal 500 2019
- "The superb Martijn Scheltema of Hague-based Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn N.V. benefits from a strong reputation in both the Dutch and the international market. One market commentator stated: He is a renowned expert and very involved with the UN Guiding Principles.", Chambers Global 2018
- "One source describes him as a tremendous and very technical lawyer, adding: If I need some advice on a highly technical legal issue, I would go to him. On top of that, he has the soul of human rights as well. He is part of the small group of worldwide lawyers who knows human rights very well.", Chambers Global 2017
- "According to sources he is very good - a great team player with excellent quality.", Chambers Europe 2016
- "Martijn Scheltema maintains a leading Supreme Court practice, which includes setting-aside proceedings.", Legal 500 2016
- “Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV’s very collaborative practice, led by the very sharp Martijn Scheltema, is praised for its good response times.”, Legal 500 2016