Ruben van Arkel has been with Pels Rijcken since 2006 and heads the Employment and Public Service Law department. He assists employers in resolving issues such as equal treatment, integrity/fraud, whistle-blowers, employee co-determination, restructuring, collective labour agreements, remuneration and dismissal. Ruben is also specialised in pension law, an area in which he represents employers, pension providers, and regulatory authorities.
Ruben received his master’s degree in Dutch Civil Law from Leiden University, where he also completed the postgraduate specialist programme in Employment Law with distinction. He went on to complete the course Pension Law programme at VU Amsterdam. Ruben is currently a lecturer in the Grotius Specialist Programme in Employment Law and the Postgraduate Programme in Employment Law (PALA). He is a member of: The Hague Employment Lawyers Association (VHAA), the Board of the Netherlands Employment Lawyers Association (VAAN), the equal treatment working group of the Dutch Employment Law Association (VvA), and the Dutch Civil Servants & Law Association (VA&R).
- “Ruben van Arkel is a great legal mind and superb strategic thinker.”, Legal 500, 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2021
- “Ruben Van Arkel is singled out by interviewees for his flexibility, one asserting that he knows his client and is open to suggestions from the client. He has an impressive work portfolio on pensions matters covering both litigation and regulatory advice for public and private sector clients.”, Chambers Europe 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500, 2020
- "Ruben Van Arkel is regarded as an outstanding lawyer who is able to develop new and creative perspectives in difficult cases, with the same client noting that he keeps his eye on the goal and he knows how to get there strategically.", Chambers Europe 2020
- "Team head Ruben van Arkel and […] impress with their excellent work and critical thinking.", Legal 500 2019
- "Clients appreciate that he is very punctual, hard-working and sharp.", Chambers Europe 2019
- "Impressive and very skilled", Chambers Europe 2018
- "A professional who is prepared to go the extra mile for his client.", Chambers Europe 2018
- "Shrewd and knowledgeable", Chambers Europe 2017
- "He has a hands-on mentality, is straightforward and is very quick with his responses. He provides exactly the advice we need.", Chambers Europe 2016